Thinking of renting your home upstate? Make sure it qualifies

GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) — With the economy growing in Greenville, city officials are seeing an increase in the number of residents using websites like Airbnb and VRBO to list their homes for short-term rental.

City officials say homes in residential neighborhoods can be rented for a minimum of 30 days. Vacation rentals may only operate with a permit, license, and within permitted non-residential zoning areas of the city.

The residential zoning districts are R-6, R-9, RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3. Greenville residents can use the city’s address locator to find out which zoning district your home is in.

If your property is not in a residential area, the city advises that there are two types of permitted visitor accommodations:

Bed and Breakfast/Inn

In addition to permits, owners must have a business license and must pay accommodation tax.

Reports of illegal rentals can be made to Planning and Zoning at 864-467-4476.

MORE NEWS: Ongoing flight cancellations cause travel chaos

Comments are closed.