Collapsed Ward Boss / COVID Bears / Holy Carp / Hawks Set
Soon, sports bettors will be able to bypass their bookmakers in Chicago.
In a split vote, the city council lifted the sports betting ban and paved the way for sports betting fairs in United Center, Wrigley Field, Guaranteed Rate Field, Soldier Field and Wintrust Arena.
Instead of vigor, the city will collect a 2% tax.
- Pray for luck! The 47-year-old dolphin was airlifted to Brookfield Zoo from Florida to receive treatment after being diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma, a common type of skin and oral cancer. (Room)
- If the Bears’ 4-9 record wasn’t bad enough. Four players tested positive for coronavirus since Monday, and the NFL has added the team to its “Improved COVID-19 protocol list” Jeff Arnold reports. (Room)
- Indicted Ald. Carrie Austin collapsed during the municipal council meeting on Wednesday. The 72-year-old service chief who faces federal corruption charges left the meeting and was treated by paramedics after complaining of chest pain. (Room)
- If you hoped that Thompson Center’s dilapidated money pit was set for a date with the Wrecking Ball, I have bad news. Governor JB Pritzker has chosen a development partner who plans to Spare the dilapidated 17-story steel and glass office tower designed by the late architect Helmut Jahn. (Room)
- the Blackhawks reach out-of-court settlement with Kyle Beach, the former Blackhawks draft pick who sued the team over allegations he was sexually assaulted by a video coach in the 2010 playoffs. “The Blackhawks are hoping this rthe resolution will bring a measure of peace and closure for Mr Beach“the team said in a statement. (Patch)
- The $ 850 million question: Who will foot the bill for a system to spot invasive carps that are destroying the Great Lakes ecosystem? Eight Midwestern governors responded in unison: Not us! (WTTW)
From our sponsor:
Hey Chicago, are you looking to buy a home, refinance, or just explore your choices? To verify the new Patch mortgage center for all your real estate financing needs!
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
- 33% discount on a medical cannabis card certification until the end of 2021! (December 18)
- Shanna’s Shop of Divas Presents the ISSA Holiday Pop-Up Shop (December 18)
- Pop-up vintage market (December 18)
- FREE 3-hour Use of Force Course for Civilian Firearms Owners and CCL Holders (December 20)
- Spoken Word Burlesque Show – Highlights of Childhood Sexual Abuse + Male Survivor Panel (December 21)
- Brighten up the first day of winter with 15 percent off the sunniest flowers from FTD (December 21)
- USCCA Instructor Certification Class – valid in 36 states. (December 29)
- New Years Eve Chicago Scene at the Drake Hotel (December 31)
- First Night Evanston Is ‘Closer Than In Person’ With 25th Virtual New Years Eve Variety Show (December 31)
- Opening Reception: (not) disclosed with Bryana Bibbs (Jan 8)
- Add your event
Concerts and services:
Do you like the Chicago Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved: